Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Hello, Goodbye

Goodbye 2013
At the start of a new year, I always end up reflecting on all that has happened.  2013 was definitely a year filled with joy and struggles.  The year saw four of my friends get engaged, friends lose husbands, fathers, grandparents, friends.  There were multiple babies and pregnancies, college graduations, injury and illness of loved ones, the blessing of full-time jobs and raises, vacations and time with friends.  

In 2013, we went to two Packer games.  We watched fireworks on the beach.  We celebrated our third anniversary.  We camped in our camper by ourselves for the first time since we owned it.  We were blessed with a healthy pregnancy and the exciting future of becoming parents.  We prepared for the death of Andy's mom, only to be reminded that God is the one in control and He has decided to leave her with us for awhile (what a blessing and miracle that is!).  We grew a lot this year as a couple and as individuals.

This year I grieved for friends, some that I had drifted from, as they felt the extreme pain of loss to those closest to them.  I caught my first Large Mouth Bass.  I learned more about the food we eat and how scary it is to be ignorant about it.  I finally found peace this year with my father's passing, feeling a different kind of sadness when the anniversary came around.  built new friendships.  I created new memories with old friends.  I got a Kitchen Aid mixer :) 

Hello 2014
2014 is a blank slate, stretched out ahead of us.  Some of us have huge milestones (both good and bad) coming up this year: weddings, babies, graduations, career changes, first holidays without loved ones.  But even with these events, surprises lay ahead of all of us.  I think that is why I love the new year so much, not because I am suddenly going to start working out everyday or learn a new skill, but because it is a natural starting point of all that life has to offer.  If I was reminded of one lesson this year, it is what a blessing time is.  It is never guaranteed.  It is never promised to us.  It is one of the greatest gifts we can ever receive.

May this year bless you with the gift of time.  

Happy New Year!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment