Saturday, May 5, 2012

Help, I need Somebody,

Help, not just anybody,
Help, you know I need someone, help.
~ The Beatles 

Oh how the words of this song have ruled my life the last five weeks.  Yep, that is how long it has been since I have my bunioectomy.  Those of you that know me well, know that depending on others is not a strong suite for me.  Over the years, I have grown to be fiercely independent.  It is hard for me to allow people to do things for me.  Thoughts run through my head like "I can do it myself," "Do you think I can't do it," What if you don't do it my way," or worse, "What if you let me down."  I find it is just easier less anxiety inducing for me to do it on my own.

In the last five weeks, I have not had the luxury of doing things on my own.  My recovery has left me unable to do most things without assistance.  Crutches prevent me from being able to carry most things, including my morning cup of coffee.  I've been unable to help with the majority of household tasks, so I need to rely on A to do everything from dishes, to vacuuming, to laundry.  And I haven't been able to drive anywhere, but need to find rides or ask people to pick things up for me.  This last one has been the worst most challenging for me.  

There are things to be learned from this experience.  I have had to humble myself and ask for what I need.  I have learned that people are kind and giving, and will lend a hand in any way they can.  I have learned that no one can read my mind, especially not A, and that I need to just use my voice to communicate what I need, instead of getting frustrated.

Hopefully, my recovery is nearing it's end, and for a month or so I will be able to do things on my own again.  During that time, I will rejoice in the ability to drive places, bask in the warmth of doing my own laundry, and happily carry my morning coffee.  Then, once again, I will need to ask for "Help!"  Maybe it will be easier the second time around.

1 comment:

  1. Debbie HalvorsonMay 5, 2012 at 7:12 PM

    One of life's great lessons is learning that EVERYONE NEEDS TO BE NEEDED! Sometimes asking for help can fulfill someone elses need. It can be a good thing to need others. I hope the next one goes easiier for you :)

    ReplyDelete