Saturday, May 12, 2012

Homemade Laundry Soap

In my quest to save money and live a little simpler, I decided to try making my own laundry soap.  Even though it is just two of us, I typically do about 6 loads of laundry a week.  I found an easy recipe (which was a must) and mixed it up.   I made my first batch in mid-January and just ran out this week, that means the soap lasted close to 4 months! I was unsure if I would like it but have found that it cleans well and leaves clothes brighter, even when washing in cold water.  It doesn't have a strong scent, but you can use fabric softener or add a few drops of essential oil to each load.

Cost breakdown: I bought enough of everything to make 3 batches and it cost a total of $23.  Each batch costs me about $7.67 and lasts 15 weeks or about 90 loads of laundry!  That's 8.5 cents a load!

Supplies:

55 oz Arm and Hammer Washing Soda
4 lbs Arm and Hammer Baking Soda
76 oz Borax
3 lbs Oxi Clean
3 Fels Naptha Laundry Bar  

*I have been making smaller batches and keeping it in an empty, gallon ice-cream pail.  To make a smaller batch, you can use: 19 oz washing soda, 22 oz baking soda, 26 oz Borax, 19 oz Oxi Clean, and 1 Fels-Naptha bar.  




Step One:
Using a cheese grater, grate the Fels-Naptha bars.


Step Two:
Add all ingredients into a large bowl or bucket.



Step Three:
Stir everything together.







Step Four:
Store in an air tight container.

Use: I use the scoop that came with the Oxi Clean and use one scoop per load.  When I wash A's work clothes I add an extra scoop for a little extra cleaning power!

1 comment:

  1. Is it me, or does the bottom picture look like a tortilla with cheese on it? :)

    ReplyDelete