Monday, August 19, 2013

Books Worth A Look



If you are looking for something to read I have just the thing.  I just finished The Glass Castle.  It is a memoir of Jeanette Walls childhood that came highly recommended by a few coworkers and the librarian.  It definitely did not disappoint.  Her writing style is wonderful and it was a fast read.  Walls presents her story in four sections that are not broken up by chapters but small vignettes, so it was easy to read for 5 mins, put down, and pick back up.  I am impressed by her ability to overcome what life presented her with and her willingness to share it with her audience.  



For my teacher friends, I also read The Essential 55 by Ron Clark.  In his book he gives the 55 rules he uses with his students to help them become successful in school and life. I found that a lot of his rules would apply outside the classroom as well.  My top 5 rules were:


  1. Make eye contact.  When someone is speaking, keep your eyes on him or her at all times.  If someone makes a comment, turn and face that person.
  2. If you win or do well at something, do not brag.  If you lose, do not show anger.  Instead, say something like, "I really enjoyed the competition, and I look forward to playing you again," or "Good game," or don't say anything at all.  To show anger or sarcasm, such as "I wasn't playing hard anyway.  You really aren't that good," shows weakness.
  3. Always say thank you when I give you something.  If you do not say it within three seconds after receiving the item, I will take it back.  There is no excuse for not showing appreciation.  
  4. Surprise others by performing random acts of kindness.  Go out of your way to do something surprisingly kind and generous for someone at least once a month.  
  5. Be positive and enjoy life.  Some things just aren't worth getting upset over.  Keep everything in perspective and focus on the good in your life.  

I liked both of these so much that up next are:
   

What have you read that is worth a look?  



No comments:

Post a Comment