Sunday, April 3, 2011

Great Expectations?

I am having one of those weeks in which I feel I'm falling short of everyone's expectations.  There is a laundry list of items I need to improve on:
  • be a better homemaker
  • practice my faith A LOT more 
  • go to the gym
  • watch less TV
  • don't take it out on A when I am crabby 
  • put passion back into my work
  • send out the last of my thank you cards
...and the list goes on.  

As it turns out, the only expectations that I can't live up to are my own.  Upon further reflection, I realize that is because, at the moment, they are ridiculously high.  I am not sure anyone could live up to my expectations.  

Maybe what I need to learn is that my greatest expectation should be for me to become comfortable with my true self.  It is hard to accept our shortcomings and focus on what our primary purpose truly is.  Maybe I am not ment to keep the perfect house because I am supposed to spend more time with those I love.  Maybe my "lived in" apartment is just a perfect reflection of my personality.  Somewhat of a mess at times, comfortable and organized in its own way.  

I need to realize that I have different strengths to balance me out my weaknesses.  I tend to focus more on what I should be rather than what I am.  There is a balance that needs to be struck between improving one's self and changing oneself into someone they are not.  In the grand scheme of things, what difference does it make if I don't fold up my blanket before I go to bed?  

Maybe my priorities are out of whack.  I find myself being overly concerned with saving money to  improve our lives, wondering if I am trendy enough, wishing we could travel more, and what people think of me.  I dwell on wither or not I said something stupid, or if I acted too eager for someone's friendship, or if I am perceived as annoying at times.  Maybe I should be focusing on being the kindest, most genuine person I can be.  Maybe I should be focusing on serving others and following in the footsteps of those who have led by example.  

I guess the greatest expectation is to come to terms with the person we are and "be the best version of yourself".  Now I just have to figure out how to get there.         

1 comment:

  1. Kimi, this is something I struggle with on a daily basis. The noise in my head that tells me no matter what I do, I should be doing better or more. Nobody is perfect and I think we need to be kinder to ourselves. Personally I blame the magazines telling us that we arent good enough :) Please dont worry, you ARE the kindest, most genuine person I know and I love every version of you. I am so impressed by the adult version of the girl I met so many years ago at a restaurant in Stevens Point.

    ReplyDelete