Thursday, July 18, 2013

TGE

This past weekend I spent four hilarious, responsibility-free days with 4 of my favorite girls.  It was our annual Great Escape and I look forward to it every year.  Before I fill you in on our awesome weekend, let me give you a little background on The Great Escape.    

History of The Great Escape
We started The Great Escape (TGE) in 2011 after I read a magazine article about a group of women who promised to get together once a year no matter where they were in their lives.  When I read the article, I just KNEW it was something my college girlfriends and I needed to do.  We had been friends for years, lived together, partied together, helped each other through break-ups, stood up in each others' weddings, basically been through the good and the bad together.  Our lives had already started to take us in different directions.  I was back in Milwaukee, Kelli was in Iowa, but it was more than just physical proximity.  We were getting married, having babies, changing jobs, etc.  We were moving down life's path and I didn't want us to get separated.  I sent an email explaining my plan and they all agreed.  


TGE 2011 - Lodi, WI
How It Works
Here's how it works:  each year, one person in the group is designated as "The Planner", that responsibility rotates until everyone has had a turn, and then it starts over.  The entire group settles on a per person budget and a long, four day weekend that works for everyone.  Then "The Planner" is left to decide and arrange the rest - where we go, where we stay, what we do, and what we eat- which has to be completely covered by the budget.  The "Non-planners" stay in the dark until a few days before the trip and the secret location is revealed.  We have the planner send the location, directions, menu, and a CD of songs by mail to each of us. Also, we usually have a theme that leads to a small gift (flip-flops, sunglasses, etc.) that we receive on the trip.  This then becomes a yearly get together.  It works for everyone, no matter what stage of life you are in.  Married, pregnant, single, going to school, working, etc, we could all make this get together a priority to give us time to reconnect and strengthen our friendship with one another. 


TGE 2012 - New Lisbon, WI
TGE 2013
This year we rented a house in Galena, IL.  With-in 15 minutes of arriving, I was laughing so hard that tears were forming in the corner of my eyes.  I instantly remembered why we had all become friends in the first place and why we make time to do this each year.  The rest of the weekend was filled with laughter, food, wine, and relaxation.  After arriving on Thursday, we claimed bedrooms and then took our annual photo. Dinner was prepared, wine was opened, and the talking, dancing, and laughing was non-stop.

Friday was filled with some time by the pool and then shopping in downtown Galena.  There were so many cute shops, but we loved Poopsies and The Galena Canning Company.  We were pretty tired out after a long day of sun, so we had a low key evening watching Pitch Perfect (which surprisingly Sara and I had still not seen...acacuse me!) 

Saturday was more time by the pool and then some rowdy game playing.  I think that may be my favorite part of our girls weekends because it usually leads to some very funny stories.  On Sunday we packed up and headed home, which was, as always, bittersweet.  These girls are defiantly like family to me and it is always hard to leave when the weekend is over.  I am glad that we put aside this time for each other since it is usually the only time that ALL of us are together throughout the year.  If you don't do something like this with your girlfriends, I recommend you start!

TGE 2013 - Galena, IL


  

1 comment: