Sunday, July 7, 2013

The Big Three

I knew it had been awhile since I posted, but I didn't realize just how long until I saw that my last post was in October, yikes! Let's start with a couple of bigger events to get you caught up.

It has been 16 months since my foot surgery and my foot is almost fully healed.  I still have a pretty big scar but that is supposed to continue to fade.  The most surprising thing is that I am somewhat limited in the movement of my big toe.  It seems silly, and I never thought much about my toe movement, but I still have to flex my toe to help build strength.  To encourage even more movement, I am going to attempt to run my first 5K this year!  I have 8 weeks to train and I will need everyone's help to stay motivated.  

This past year, we have been focused on revamping our finances.  After some hesitation and many recommendations, we both read Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover.  I can't recommend it enough!!  It was eye opening to see how we REALLY spent our money.  And more importantly, it changed the way we view and use our money.  One thing that hit us hard was that we were the problem, not that we didn't make enough money or things were too expensive.  It was US and how we viewed and handled our money.  Some of the things we learned went against many of the money myths we have heard our whole lives, and it is hard to change your thinking overnight.  However, I know many people who have had success with his advice, so we took a chance.  We still haven't worked out all the kinks, but we have made considerable headway and I don't think we would have if we hadn't read the books.  Our credit card debt is down, we paid off the Malibu a few months early, and our savings is better than it has been in years.  Can't complain about that!

And I have saved the best for last.  In August, I will go from part-time second grade teacher to FULL-TIME second grade teacher!  I can't wait to be in my own classroom for the whole day!  I owe a big thanks to A for supporting my choice to leave my full-time job two years ago, and for believing in me and being my biggest cheerleader when times got tough.  It only took 6 years and some detours but I finally made it, and for that I am truly blessed.


No comments:

Post a Comment